Even though Asbestos has been banned in Australia it still is very much present. Back in the mid-nineties, this highly harmful mineral was being incorporated into thousands of essential products. Due to how cheap it was being sold; manufacturers turned to this mineral overlooking the already undergoing researches that were looking into the toxicity of the mineral.
If the building or house you are currently residing in is built before the year 2000, there is a possibility that you would come across asbestos products. Asbestos was used in everything from pipeline systems to water heaters and even wall paint. But identifying asbestos is very tricky since it is never used as a direct substance and in fact, incorporated into various products. Naturally asbestos can be white, blue, green, or brown but as it is mixed with other materials and then painted over it becomes hard to even notice. Asbestos is said to have no taste and smell and anyways smelling any product you suspect to have asbestos is not recommended as it directly puts you at risk of inhaling the harmful microfibres.
Sometimes sheets that contain asbestos found within ceilings, walls, and even flooring can be identified due to their fibrous texture. But most of the time asbestos is very hard to notice and therefore it is advised to know and study the history of your current place of residence. Be aware of crumbling drywall, cracked sidings or flooring/roofing tiles, and damaged shingles around your house. It is always best to get those areas inspected.
If you are having trouble recognising asbestos, get professional help for asbestos testing in Newcastle. But don’t wait and do this soon.